Concluding Remarks

Writing this blog in the last few weeks is a very interesting journey that I certainly learn a lot from. I explore several topics about water and food security in Africa, which I was interested before in but didn't get chances to dig into.

Inspired by Binyavanga's article, I wrote against the oversimplification of African water issues by reflecting the existing and future complicated surface water resource situations across the continent. Then I discuss three potential solutions towards the water and food insecurity from different perspectives. Different types of water storage systems, particularly small-scale and naturally-formed ones, are able to ease seasonal water imbalance, while virtual water trade could spatially reallocate water resources from an economic pathway. Once associated suspicions are dispelled, GMO methods can enhance the efficiency of agricultural water usage. In principle, these are all innovative approaches to water and food challenges, but as the Tanzanian case study shows, practical resource management might sometimes more closely relate to political power.

I only cover a small number of examples and subjects linked to Africa's water and food nexus in this blog. The true state of affairs on this continent and in any of its countries would only be more complicated than what I've described. Also, there are more feasible avenues for providing content-specific solutions towards water and food security. As being insistingly mentioned in this blog, I believe it's critical to do our best to understand local situations and be open to any potential answers.

We have a tendency to see the world through rose-coloured glasses. Before starting this blog, I was one of those who held a homogeneous view of Africa. Even now, I consider myself being not enough "local" to truly view and write about this continent. Whereas the attempt to see and think like a local participant of these issues is important, and thanks to this blogging experience, I gain this feeling and got the chance to practice.

All in all, thank you for reading this blog and I hope you enjoy it. See you next time!

评论

此博客中的热门博文

Food and Water in Africa: Start with a More Careful View

GMOs: Changing the Crop Africans Grow

Water Storage: More Than Dam it